Sunday, August 5, 2012

I Dreamed a Dream

The last 2 nights, I have had a recurring dream. Now, I don't know if that ever happens to you, but for me that happens rarely. And usually when it does happen, they tend to be dreams I'd rather not repeat, much less remember. I think I remember this one because I woke myself up from it. (And please, dear reader, stick with me on this one. I do have a point.)

Last night's dream pretty much picked up where the night before's had left off. I knew exactly who the antagonist was. The setting itself was a night time metropolis, though that's only for you to get an image in your mind. Although there were other people around, I very distinctly remember one character aside from myself. He was relatively tall (6'1-6'3 ish), thin, dark and gleaming eyes-almost mischievous-a snide smile, bald. I never once knew his name. But I know this. He loved to taunt me in an evil manner. Several times, I tried to move and he somehow kept me from doing so (for any of you Wheel of Time fans out there, I would call it basically being bound with Air) or from talking or any number of things (including dangling me off of skyscrapers with this air rope I seemed to be bound with). And as much I tried to stop him, I absolutely couldn't. If I ran, he always found me and taunted me again and in worse ways. This happened for hours both nights.
Finally, I hit a point of such anger, frustration, fear, and pure hatred for this man (keeping in mind that the dream itself was much worse and antagonizing than I am able to describe...), that last night I literally woke myself up from the dream just to escape. Upon awakening, I was able to discern in a very real way how Satan-like this character was.

After much contemplation this morning and throughout the day, I've realized several things...How many times in life are we trying to move and follow God's direction and will, but something literally stops us? How often do we go to share the gospel as we are commanded to do (Matthew 28:16-20), and something keeps our mouths shut? Although in my dream I was completely powerless against this man, I still had another option-to wake up. And it was a conscious effort and ridiculously difficult to do. In life, we have another choice. Call on God. Seriously. When we are under attack, it's not enough to try saving yourself or rely on yourself or even friends or family. God has already defeated Satan. God is victorious! It's a conscious decision that you have the choice to make. But honestly, why wouldn't you?

It may seem very elementary to you, or maybe you're seeing this concept for the first time, or maybe you just need the reminder. Maybe I do. But please listen to me. If you're ever facing a situation that is daunting, too difficult for you as a mere human, or are under attack, turn to our loving Father. He is there to guide us, walk with us, love us, be there for us, and rescue us.


I love you, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
    my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
    my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
    and I am saved from my enemies.


The cords of death encompassed me;
     the torrents of destruction assailed me;[a] 
the cords of Sheol entangled me;
    the snares of death confronted me.

In my distress I called upon the Lord;
    to my God I cried for help.
From his temple he heard my voice,
    and my cry to him reached his ears.

The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock,
    and exalted be the God of my salvation— the God who gave me vengeance
    and subdued peoples under me, who delivered me from my enemies;

For this I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations,
    and sing to your name.


 Excerpts from Psalm 18

P.S. Sorry for the funky notation on the versus. Blogger is being a pain....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Please refrain from commenting with inappropriate language. I reserve the right to take down any comment should I deem it necessary. Also, please DON'T POST ANONYMOUSLY!!
Thanks!!